In 1940 several local residents banded together to purchase an old farm as these working shooters were unable to afford the higher-priced shooting sports offered at “high-end” shooting clubs. A clubhouse was built, land graded to accommodate skeet and trap ranges, manual skeet and trap machines were acquired from charter member Guy Simpson (who was 38 at the time), and the Millbrook Rod & Gun Club was born. To protect their interests they incorporated in 1941 and started constructed the clubhouse in 1950.
Long-time Millbrook residents will recognize the names of the original founders, our “charter” members. They were second-generation “Millbrookers”, mostly local artisans and even a couple of politicians (former mayors of Millbrook, Murtaugh and Manzi).
|Guy W. Simpson||Grant Ball|
|Albert Rotunno||Esmond Gifford|
|Rhinehold Strobel||William Coddington|
|Lewis Van Keuren||Joseph Tumino|
|John P. Manzi||Ernest Ciferri|
|Charles Haight||John Murtaugh|
|Carl Sorenson||Alva Steacy|
|Emil Raeder||Vincent Field|
|Onorato Maggiacomo||Ottavino Maggiacomo|
|John Ormeston||Thomas Foley|
While the clubhouse has been enlarged and remodeled, we like to think that the hunting and shooting heritage and ethics of the our charter members lives on in today’s membership.